CNC Build/Conversion Part III

cnc_build_015

Also not shown, I replaced all of the bearings in the spindle with higher quality sealed bearings and rebuilt it all with new grease. Will spin much smoother. I also turned the stock pullies down a bit on the lathe before I disassembled it, which will help with balance. Once the CNC is dialed in I will probably just CNC new aluminum ones for even smoother operation.

cnc_build_022

Figuring out the Y axis motor mounting. Since my mill is this, I can’t use it, so am doing all the bracketry with a portaband and my bench-top drill press, so excuse the unpretty bits.

cnc_build_016

Getting the wiring figured out for the control box. I am using the forward/reverse switch to swap between controlling the lathe motor or the mill motor.

cnc_build_034

The base plate for the X-axis. Basically copied FannBlade here, threaded the remaining holes that were already there on the bed and countersunk everything best I could on the drill press.

cnc_build_037

Everything mounted up for the X, pretty happy with how it all turned out. Fits nicely with maximum amount of space on the X.

cnc_build_038

Have it all mounted up now.

cnc_build_039

I managed to mount my Y ball nut in this handy location in the stock parts. Drilled and tapped 4 holes but managed to break a shitty tap in one of them, but 3 12.9 socket screws will be plenty strong enough. I had to tap out the stock bronze bushing to get the Keling ballscrew to fit through.

cnc_build_041

Leave a Reply